Diabetic Meal Planning with The Plate Method
If you are a regular visitor to restaurants, weddings and events or just daily food consumption bothers you then try out this great way to eat right – ‘The Plate Method’.
The Plate Method is a simple way of planning you meals by dividing the portions on the plate.
The outcome of this method is good food, in the right proportion, so you consume the ideal levels of everything, while keeping you feeling satisfied.
This method encourages you to eat more healthy food and lesser not so diabetic friendly foods.
As per the American Diabetes Association, losing almost 10-15 pounds can help diabetics improve blood glucose levels, blood pressure and also blood lipid levels like triglycerides and cholesterol.
The plate method helps you limit portions of starchy carb containing foods that are known to have the most impact on blood glucose levels.
The method focuses on eating more of non starchy vegetables which are low in carbs and also calories.Non starchy foods are known to be high in vitamins, minerals and also fibre. These foods also help consume enough lean protein.
How to follow this method?
- Take your plate
- Put a line down the middle, and a line on one half of the plate. ( This is just an imaginary line, just a way of understanding the sections.)
- The bigger half of your plate should be non-starchy vegetables. Non starchy vegetables include spinach, carrots, green beans, tomatoes and beets.
- One fourth of your plate should comprise of grains like brown rice, corn or idli.
- Add the remaining one fourth of your plate with protein. Protein rich foods include eggs, chickens, lentils etc.
- You could additionally consume a portion of dairy like pain yogurt.
Also when you fill your portions, keep in mind your portion sizes and make sure you don’t pile up the sections.
This is a very easy method for those confused on what to eat and how much.Enjoy your meals even when diabetic.