Did You Know? Cinnamon Can Help to Lower Your Blood Sugar Levels
Food to control diabetes naturally:
Firstly let’s understand the term Blood Sugar: Blood sugar is the amount of glucose(sugar) present in the blood. Glucose is obtained from the food that we consume.
Diabetes is associated with high blood sugar levels. Diabetic diet or management usually involves certain methods and some foods that can lower blood sugar levels. There are certain diabetic food that can help as foods that control diabetes.
It is essential to maintain a low carb diet in diabetes. Some foods are also helpful in lowering blood glucose levels.
You can opt for these diabetic food to help lower level of blood sugar:
- Cinnamon: Famous since ancient times for its medicinal properties, Cinnamon is known to lower blood glucose levels. It is also effective for muscle spasms, Infections, common cold and chronic wounds.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: This is beneficial for both type of diabetes- 1 & 2 and specifically for postprandial glucose.
Sprouts: They help in easier digestion of food- which means lesser stomach issues and bloating.
- Chia Seeds: It is high in antioxidants and omega-3 oils which makes it a good source of energy. Chia seeds can be added to almost anything from salads to smoothies.
- Flax Seeds: They help improve fasting level of blood sugar.It also helps lower cholesterol and keep haemoglobin levels to normal.
- Lentils: They are rich in dietary fibre – both soluble and insoluble.Insoluble fibre helps regulate bowel movement and prevent constipation while the soluble fibre reduces risk of a heart disease.
Effects of cinnamon on insulin: Studies suggest that cinnamon in diet for diabetic patient improves cholesterol and blood glucose levels in people who have type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes diet lays special focus in reducing fasting glucose levels. Cinnamon is known to help in the same.
Cinnamon is known to increase insulin sensitivity.
Is it safe for diabetics: Adding cinnamon in the diet to control diabetes is debatable.Some call it unsafe for diabetics. But majority studies call it best diabetic diet element. Health experts over the years have claimed that cinnamon slows stomach emptying and is beneficial for regulations of blood sugar. Additionally it can help boost the immune system of diabetics. Just be careful if you have a liver problem. It is best to consult a healthcare advisor before incorporating cinnamon in your diet for diabetes.
Ways to use cinnamon:
- You could sprinkle some over your food.
- You could add it to your drinks or just simply prepare cinnamon tea.
- You can consume cinnamon powder with honey on an empty stomach
Glucometer: The diabetic diet especially type 2 diabetes diet can sometimes get tricky. You need to constantly monitor and evaluate the effect cinnamon and certain diet for type 2 diabetes has on sugar levels. Keeping a glucometer handy always helps in such cases. Also it is advisable to consult your doctor about the best foods for diabetes control and whether you can add spices like cinnamon to your diabetic diet plan.