How Do I Lower My Blood Glucose Levels?
What is blood glucose levels?
Glucose (blood sugar) is the key to keeping the working of the body in good condition. Glucose levels when start to fluctuate, the body starts showing signs of unhealthy functioning.
Glucose + Health fat is the preferred source of energy in the body in the form of carbohydrates. While glucose is important, it is also important to keep it in moderation. When we eat, our body immediately starts processing glucose. Enzymes breakdown with help of pancreas.
In some people (diabetics) people cannot completely rely on pancreas to work. Diabetes is a condition where the pancreas doesn’t produce adequate insulin.
What are normal blood glucose: Maintaining glucose levels is important for normal functioning of the body.
The ideal range of sugar levels is 90-130 mg/dL while fasting. Whereas post meals, it needs to be less than 180 mg/DL.
Reasons why blood sugar rises:
- Heavy meals
- Underlying illness
- Sedentary lifestyle
- Skipping medication
Ways to lower blood sugar: You should have foods you enjoy, but keep a check on what goes inside the body. Because food can help in diabetes care and diabetes management.
Certain food that help manage blood glucose levels are;
- Raw cooked food: Opt for low carb vegetables such as eggplants, tomatoes, sprouts and mushrooms. You can top it with some pepper or garlic seasoning.
- Green leafy food: If you enjoy salads, then you can try a spinach salad. They are rich in health and low in carb.
You could top it with some chia seeds for the extra crunch.
- Low calorie drinks: Water is best, but you do need an alternative sometimes. You could try some cinnamon tea. They are low carb and also keep you feeling full.
- Nuts & Seeds: Nuts prevent heart disease and control blood sugar levels. Nuts like almonds help regulate blood sugar. Seeds like flax seeds help improve fasting glucose levels and lower bad cholesterol.
- Exercise: A sedentary lifestyle is the major cause of diabetes. It is essential that you invest in some low duty exercise daily along with your medication.
Some kind of workout like running, brisk walking or just a light dance helps.
Apart from diabetes care and managing blood glucose levels it also helps
- Improve mental health
- Relieve stress
- Boost mood
- Enhance sleep quality
Individuals who are suffering from diabetes and related issues usually show drastic improvement in their development when they self participate in diabetes management. It is recommended to track your blood glucose levels regularly using a glucometer as to a keep track of your blood glucose level patterns.